Grace Groups is the name given to the small group / home group ministry of Brackenhurst Baptist Church. The model adopted for the church’s Grace Groups is a “Lecture Lab” model, whereby groups gather during the week for fellowship and discussion centred on the sermon preached the preceding Sunday morning. The pulpit is the backbone of the church, and Grace Groups help facilitate healthy church growth.
Grace Groups exist to promote the development of significant Christian relationships centred around the study of God’s Word (see Hebrews 10:24-25; Romans 8:29)
Each week, we take time to share what is happening in our lives. This may include some planned “sharing questions,”or it may be more informal and personal as the particular Group feels comfortable.
Each week we study a portion of God’s Word that relates to the previous Lord’s Day sermon. Our goal is to learn how to apply and live out our Christianity in our day-to-day experiences and relationships.
Each week, we learn how to take care of one another as Christ commanded (see John 15:9-13). This care will take many forms, such as praying, listening, meeting needs, and encouraging and even challenging one another as needed.
Five marks of a healthy Grace Group
For a Group to be healthy, members of the Group must
- focus on spiritual growth as a top priority (Romans 8:29);
- accept one another in love just as Christ has accepted us (Romans 15:7);
- take care of one another in love without crossing over the line into parenting or taking inappropriate responsibility for solving the problems of others (John 13:34);
- treat one another with respect in both speech and action (Ephesians 4:35-5:2);
- keep our commitments to the group—including attending regularly, doing the homework, and keeping confidences whenever requested (Psalm 15:1-2, 4b).
Please contact the church office to find out about Group locations and meeting times and to be put into contact with a Group leader.